Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chapter 11 - Spring Planting Fever




A Sunday Winter (but almost Spring) Morn
with Coffee and Seed Catalogues


What is it about spring that makes gardeners of us all?  You can't pass even the smallest store without seeing acres of bedding plants and thousands of seed packets on display patiently waiting to be taken home. 

A field of  zinnias
 makes a
 perfect cutting garden
Each year, without fail, seed catalogues by the arm-load arrive at Christmas time just when I'm busy with the holiday festivities.  "I'll put them on my desk (probably the worst place to put something I want to find again)," I can hear myself saying, "and I'll get to them right after Christmas."

It's the same thing every year.  You'd think I'd learn.  Christmas comes and goes.  Then it's Valentine's Day.  Then I have to get the taxes ready for the accountant.  Every once in a while, all winter long, I'll take out a catalogue or two and mark some pages of interest in bright red marker.  "I'll come back to these later - when I have more time to REALLY read them."  Do I?  No.

Patty pan squash
Easy to grow and yummy to eat 
Suddenly, it's Spring and time to plant.  I rush out to any old hardware or grocery store or the Walmart and grab the last bunch of seed packets left on the shelves.  It doesn't matter what they are.  I have the spring planting fever.

But this year will be different.  I still have time to choose the seeds I want to plant.  It's early Sunday morning and I've got a big mug of coffee.  Now, if I can only find those catalogues.


No comments:

Post a Comment